Friday 24 February 2012

Something for the Weekend


The Vesuvius Club – Mark Gatiss

It’s been over a month now and I’m still grieving. None of my colleagues will discuss it with me any more. My partner can’t even bear to hear the music. But my life is empty without the BBC’s Sherlock.

In the absence of more episodes and no resolution on how Mr Holmes faked his death, I’ve turned to Sherlock co-writer Mark Gatiss’ other detective, Lucifer Box, for comfort. There are three adventures featuring the irresistible Box, but The Vesuvius Club is the first and the most fun.

Painter, dandy and secret agent, Lucifer Box romps through Edwardian high and low society whilst saving the world from a ridiculous super-villain plot. There are dangerous pursuits through sewers, amusingly named extras (cute companion Charlie Jackpot is my favourite) and plenty of wisecracking. A detective of dubious moral standards, Box is a witty and decidedly queer hero who will have you sniggering at his antics. A quick, dirty afternoon pleasure best read whilst reclining on a chaise longue, with a box of elaborate chocolates or a willing sidekick to top up your champagne glass. And an excellent way to fill the hours between now and the next season of Sherlock.

Sarah T

Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment