Friday 2 August 2013

Something for the Weekend - The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists

This weeks 'Something for the Weekend' is,

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe.

I'm a bit annoyed that I only just read this (I literally finished it on the bus yesterday). I saw the film, I enjoyed the film, I knew it was based on a book, I work in a bookshop. But as you know the 'to read' list is long & plentiful. Well, it was worth the wait.

This is a silly book. If you do not have a childish sense of humour then stop reading. It's a shade darker than the film (more death) but kids would still absolutely love it. Indeed I wish I could have read this when I was at school.

Plot? Oh, the Pirates run into Darwin & agree to help him free his brother who is being held hostage. No spoilers here as to why; it's part of the fun. Fun being the operative word here, the whole thing is HUGE fun from start to finish. My only complaint is that it's too short, luckily there are another four adventures for me to enjoy.

It reminded me of Python, Milligan even a touch of Douglas Adams, all good! But more than those eminent humorist's it I found it very reminiscent of John Antrobus, sadly that may not mean much to you. Antrobus (a contemporary of Milliagan) wrote the brilliant 'Boy with illuminated measles' & 'Help I'm a prisoner in a toothbrush factory'. Both hilarious & both sadly out of print - seek them out!

So Gideon Defoe 'as good as John Antrobus' - you can put that on the next one Mr Defoe.

Sorry.!

Buy it here

Gary


No comments:

Post a Comment